Thin Privilege Checklist
For those that didn’t know what I was talking in my last post, here is the thin privilege checklist in its entirety:
- I can be sure that people aren’t embarrassed to be seen with me because of the size of my body.
- If I pick up a magazine or watch T.V. I will see bodies that look like mine that aren’t being lampooned, desexualized, or used to signify laziness, ignorance, or lack of self-control.
- When I talk about the size of my body I can be certain that few other people will hope they are never the same size.
- I do not have to be afraid that when I talk to my friends or family they will mention the size of my body in a critical manner, or suggest unsolicited diet products and exercise programs.
- I will not be accused of being emotionally troubled or in psychological denial because of the size of my body.
- I can go home from meetings, classes, and conversations and not feel excluded, fearful, attacked, isolated, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, stereotyped, or feared because of the size of my body.
- I never have to speak for size acceptance as a movement. My thoughts about my body can be my own with no need for political alliance relative to size.
- I can be sure that when I go to a class, or movie, or restaurant that I will find a place to sit in which I am relatively comfortable.
- I don’t have to worry that if I am talking about feeling of sexual attraction people are repelled or disgusted by the size of my body. People can imagine me in sexual circumstances.
- People won’t ask me why I don’t change the size of my body.
- My masculinity or femininity will not be challenged because of the size of my body.
- I can be sure that if I need medical or legal help my size will not work against me.
- I am not identified by the size of my body.
- I can walk in public with my significant other and not have people double take or stare.
- I can go for months without thinking about or being spoken to about the size of my body.
- I am not grouped because of the size of my body.
- I will never have to sit quietly and listen while other people talk about the ways in which they avoid being my size.
- I don’t have to worry that won’t be hired for a job that I can do because of the size of my body.